Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cooking Day: Ramen Indian Style and India's Roti

I realized that today was the first day in India that I have paid for my own meal. I've been here for almost a week and I've hardly spent 1,000 rupees ($20 USD). That pays tribute to Indian hospitality.

Yesterday, though, was a day of cooking.

I was so tired from all the running around and travelling since I landed in Delhi that I was becoming a bit sick. My friend invited me to his room and said he'd make me some "chowmein." Chowmein for him was Maggie noodles (ramen), but this was ramen like I've never seen made before. It was totally Indian style.

The most Indian ramen ever.
I watched my friend make these noodles and in the end I told him, "You have not followed one step that is on the packet!"

Here's how to make ramen Indian style.

  1. Buy a packet of Maggie noodles.
  2. Put a dollop of mustard seed oil in a heated pot.
  3. Add chopped onions.
  4. Mix the Maggie powder with a half spoon of garam masala and salt with a little water and add to the onions.
  5. Add chopped tomatoes and stir, letting the mixture fry up.
  6. Crush the noodles into small pieces.
  7. Add a cup of water to the pot and let boil.
  8. Add noodles to boiling mixture, add chopped dhaniya (cilantro) and simmer for 5 minutes.
  9. The noodles should not be soupy, so it is chowmein-like.
  10. Enjoy as an afternoon snack. Good when you feel a cold coming on.
It was Indo-licious.

Later that night, my friend challenged me to help him make roti (bread). I tried at first, but then he shooed me away, saying that my delicate, white hands wouldn't be able to handle the heat of fire. This only made me try harder. My goal was just not to burn the freakin' roti.

Roti making
Tips for baking North Indian roti:
  1. Use a knife to check if the roti is ready to turn.
  2. Turn the roti before the heated side is fully cooked.*
  3. Turn again when the roti looks like it's blistering.
  4. Then, push the roti onto the fire and let it blow up like a balloon.
  5. Lightly use the knife to toss the puffed roti into the container.
* You need to have one side slightly less cooked so that it puffs up correctly.

In the end, a simple and roti-licious meal.


Like all my other posts, I end on a sentimental note. 

As you can see this simple meal represents the hospitality I have received since coming back to India. I note this not as someone new to India or amazed by the sacrifices "people" will make.

I just feel lucky to have found friends like these, who will share until their last bit of acchar (pickle), making life all the more lush.

2 comments:

  1. you live rich life! that looks so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty. I should make it my goal this trip to learn how to cook. Maybe a bit too high of a goal, huh.

      Delete