Friday, March 1, 2013

I'm hit by Banaras


It's my first day back in Varanasi and I've only been hit by a motorcycle once.

Well, first the disappointing news. We did not get to go to the Kumbh Mela in the morning. My friend's father had an accident, so we needed to rush to get to Varanasi.

Ah. My first day back in Varanasi, and my Master's friends and I keep saying, "It's like we never left."

Almost a year after our classes finished, now we have our convocation (i.e. graduation). Yeah, I do admit, it's like we're picking up right where we left off, except that some of us are skinnier and some are fatter... like me.

We picked up our robes for the next day's ceremony and went to see the Ganga River. On the way, I got hit by a motorcycle. No big deal.

Traffic is a re-shock. I couldn't remember which way side people drive, left or right. I kept forgetting which direction to look because my brain couldn't process which way the traffic was going, since vehicles were going either way on both sides of the traffic divide. In the end, I realized it didn't matter, just continually look both ways as you cross. It didn't do that one time, so I go hit. It was fine.

After "Ganga darshan" (seeing the Ganges), I had my first Banarasi (Varanasi) chai in a clay cup. My friend's father from Rajasthan asked, "Is there any dirt in this chai?" I explained, "Yes, uncle. That gives it the Banarasi taste."  Everyone laughed.

It was a long first day. My friend's father wanted to finish the day with real Banarasi "paan" (chew). See photo.

Time to time throughout the day, my friends would ask me, "Why are you so quiet? What are you thinking about?"

I would sigh and think, "I'm back."


No comments:

Post a Comment