Thursday, February 28, 2013

First day with Nehru and Friends

First day back in India. At JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) in Delhi. The photo is me... with JN watching my back.

Been an active day. JNU being a school, I've learned a lot.

Just in case you were on the fence...

  1. If you are concerned about finances, then go get yourself a PhD.
  2. GM crops are not all that bad.
  3. There IS a North Korean Embassy in India. That's good to know. You know. Just in case, last minute, I need to go there... via Delhi.

To put things in context, my first morning appointment in Delhi was with a professor of science policy. I wanted to meet with him because our similar research interests and I am considering going to grad school where he did a post-doc in California.

He gave me the advice about finances and doing a PhD, of course this is my over simplified version of it. For some, getting a PhD may not be worthwhile, but I see where he's coming from. The sciences are pretty solid, but let's see where this year's fiscal cliff gets us. In any case, a very encouraging and helpful talk.

The proclamation about GM food came from a seminar I found myself at here in JNU. Did you know that today (Feb 28) is national science day?

Again, I over simplify Dr. G. Padmanaban's argument  but what I get out of it is that (1) research on GM risk is moot since the field is so dynamic such results are immediately outdated and (2) the debate on GM, particularly Bt cotton and corn, is preventing the next needed "Green Revolution" in India.

I don't have time to elaborate. Just take the info about N. Korea as a freebie.

I think it was Mark Tully who said that in India there are no full sto...

No comments:

Post a Comment